NewDesign Studio is a design research practice and laboratory that explores the potential of design for service and policy at the Department of Design in the Ulsan National Institute of Science and technology (UNIST). We work with various stakeholders with an aim to help create strategic alternatives for more sustainable future of our society.
The world is changing faster each day, and the conventional top-down approaches with quantitative mindset is failing to address big picture challenges of today. We begin with identifying lived experiences and wishes of real people, and expand these insights towards the visible and invisible systems around us. In doing so, we build immediately applicable ideas for service, as well as speculative scenarios to inform strategic decision making and policy.
The kinds of work we pursue:
- From Shelter to Equity, rethinking public housing from inside out, a case study by Helsinki Design Lab
- EnterFinland, a drastically improved online residence permit process by Fjord (written by the director)
- Swedish Public Employment Service improving service development process (written by the director)
- Helsinki Regional Transport Authority setting the experience goal for an upcoming public transport, light rail (written by the director)
- Autonomous Vehicles: Future Scenarios for informing government strategies for disruptive technology by Dash Marshall and co. for the Bloomberg Aspen Initiative on Cities and Autonomous Vehicles
Recent works by the director:
- An advanced studio course at Aalto University – Design for Government
- A policymaking framework for the Prime Minister’s Office in Finland – Model for Human-centric Governance
Keywords: #empathy #systemsthinking #servicedesign #strategicdesign #designforpolicy #sustainability
Accepting new members!
Interns, master’s students, doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers.
Wanna join us? Drop your portfolio and/or CV to the following email address:
seungholee [a] unist.ac.kr (change [a] to @ before you hit ‘Send’)